A healthy brownie!
The sweet potato is a really fantastic source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6, plus potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus all nutritents that will support many bodily functions like hormone balance, glucose levels, blood cholesterol and immune function. This makes the sweet potato a pretty spectacular vegetable to include in your diet.
When you combine the health benefits of the sweet potato with the super powers of cacao you have a seriously impressive combo!
The benefits of cacao:
- Jam packed with anti-oxidants
- Good source of plant based Iron
- Magnesium rich for a healthy heart and brain
- Contains more calcium than cows milk
- naturally elevates mood and reduces depression
So when you bring the two together with a few other tasty ingredients you make one heck of a brownie!
- 1 large oven baked sweet potato
- 3 medium eggs
- 2-3 tbsp raw cacao (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tbsp arrowroot (alternative cornflour)
- 1-2 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 cup of almond or brazil flour – this is milled whole nuts
- 3-4 finely diced dates
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts
What you do:
- Once you have baked the sweet potato let it cool fully then peel off the skin (you will be able to do this with your fingers)
- Mash the potato in a bowl with a fork
- Add the eggs and beat with a fork
- Add the dry ingredients and fold together
- Line a small brownie tray with parchment
- Bake in a medium oven at 180oC for 45-55 minutes until the brownie is cooked through